Crime Victims Now Have Constitutional Rights

Ask a Marsy’s Law Lawyer About Compensation Available for California Crime Victims

November 11, 2014

The California Victim Compensation Program is available to individuals who have been victimized in certain crimes of violence, even when the perpetrator is not caught. A The Far-Reaching Consequences of Drunk DrivingMarsy’s Law lawyer can provide you with guidance on how to collect on this program, as well as represent you in your court case.

Specifics of the Law

Victims of crimes can incur considerable bills for medical and mental health care related to the crime. If the perpetrator is found and convicted, some of this money can be repaid to the victim through restitution ordered by the court. In some cases the defendant cannot pay the restitution, though, or is never caught and charged. In such a case, victims can apply for compensation paid by the State of California. The crimes for which a victim may be compensated for physical injuries include, among others:

  • Domestic violence
  • Drunk driving
  • Assault
  • Sexual assault
  • Homicide

In addition, victims of rape, child abandonment, molestation, and other sex crimes are eligible for compensation for emotional injury.

Applying for the Program

In order to be eligible for the program, you must have suffered an injury or death directly attributable to the crime. While there is a residence rule, this is not set in stone. A victim from another state may be eligible for the program if there is no such program in his or her state. In addition, victims need to be willing to cooperate with law enforcement to the extent that they report the crime and are willing to testify at trial, among other things. That said, this rule does not extend to all circumstances. For instance, a minor worried about retaliation may not need to cooperate.

For Further Information or Legal Assistance from a Marsy’s Law Lawyer

If you need legal representation for a crime in which you were a victim, a Marsy’s Law lawyer may be able to help. Call The Law Office of Michael Fell today at (877) 262-2430.