Crime Victims Now Have Constitutional Rights

Getting Restitution for Your Injuries

June 20, 2013

If you are a victim of a crime, it is important to work with a victim’s rights lawyer to learn about receiving compensation for your injuries.

In many cases, crime victims as well as family members may be eligible for restitution for any losses that they have suffered. Your victim’s rights attorney can help evaluate your claim and fight for the compensation you deserve.

The Types of Losses You Can Recover

Getting Restitution for Your InjuriesYour victim’s rights lawyer can explain to you the different types of losses that you may collect. Some common types of damages include:

  • Physical Injuries. If you or a loved one suffered injuries in the criminal incident, your victim’s rights lawyer can help you get compensated for medical bills, costs of therapy, and other damages related to your injuries.
  • Property Damage. Your property may have been damaged in the criminal act, and a victim’s rights attorney can be helpful in recovering destroyed or damaged property such as your home, car, and other property.
  • Job Related Losses. Damages related to your ability to work can be complicated. A victim’s rights lawyer can help you review lost wages and even the costs involved in getting retrained for a new and different job.
  • Attorney’s Fees. It can be expensive to recover all the monetary harm related to the criminal act. You may be entitled to reasonable victim’s rights attorney fees.

Generally, you may receive restitution from the criminal defendant directly. However, if the defendant does not have enough, your victim’s rights lawyer can help you put a claim through the state Crime Victims Compensation Fund.

Contact a Victim’s Rights Lawyer

It is important to work with an experienced attorney if you have fallen victim to a crime and suffered economic harm as a result. A knowledgeable victim’s rights lawyer can help review your case and explain to you the different options you have for collecting restitution. In addition, your attorney will fight for your rights and ensure that you get the damages you are entitled to. Contact attorney Michael L. Fell at (949) 585-9055 to learn more about how we can help. The initial consultation is free.